Monday, September 08, 2008

Monday

Quiet weekend here. The first load of lumbar was delivered to the new office. We've started the demo part of the job and will begin the framing next weekend. The war of the windows has settled, peace treaties signed. No concessions on my part. Someone finally 'saw the light'

I went to Second Hand Building Materials on Saturday and spent a good two hours rummaging. I didn't find anything of use for the new office but did find a 50" round glass table top, beveled and about 3/8" thick in perfect shape. My plan is to replace the smaller existing square top on the outdoor table. After getting the new top I decided that the table and wrought iron table base and chairs need a new coat of paint since it's been about a decade sine they were done. I picked out bright sunshine yellow to cover what was forest green thinking they be all bright and shining. I though spray paint would cover the green. Wrong. Their coming out a kinda of chartreuse green which looks a bit odd but may just work after a couple more coats.

We're going to a concert at the White Rock Amphitheater on Sept 19th. The first rock concert I've been to in um, a very, very long time. I think the last show I saw was Elton John and Billy Joel. Eek.

This time we're seeing Cheap Trick, Heart & Journey. - All bands that I liked back in the day. There's about 16 of us going so far. This plan was started back in July at our house party so the same group of folks are going. This is bound to make me feel old.

In local news the Boeing Machinist Union has gone out on strike. Years ago this would be huge news here as the company was so tied to the local economy. Now it's a minor story as most of those jobs have been outsourced. I drive through what was the Boeing Renton Plant every morning going to work. There's about 1/5 of the plant still in operation here as the jobs moved out the property was sold off. It's all being replaced with Targets and Office Max and Petco's. Retail and big box stores wages will replace what once were living wage jobs. One side of the street covered with picket lines and across the street non-union laborers build the new 'workers paradise' watching other people fight to retain pensions, wages and extract work guarantees from big business. It makes me wonder why labor unions are not making more of a comeback.

It's quiet here in the office and I got most of my paperwork done on Friday. I'll have to invent a reason for a road trip today or I'll just spend the day blogging. It's clear and sunny so maybe I can get out and take some pictures to post later.

Hope your having fun today.

B

16 comments:

Jenny said...

it's quiet here too and I'm working hard not to be blogging all day! Hee.

I know the area you're referring to in Renton. It's strange to see how that area has been transformed in such a short period of time. They just pop these things up.

Have a great sunny, Monday.

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

no pun intended with the light eh?

There are just so many people without jobs it's just awful.
I am certain that was part of the reason that they have dubbed the hostage taker out here "having a really bad day."

Happy Monday!

I feel like I'm living in Seattle, it's rainy and overcast in the 60's.

I don't want summer to end. :(

XOXXO,
ME

E~

Mo said...

Yay for the window.

We're going to the same concert. Great minds think alike.

Go enjoy the day for the both of us. I am stuck in a conference room all freaking day auditing someone.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm glad you're getting your window. And congrats on scoring that table top.

It's raining here. We had to run some errands and had only one umbrella for the two of us, and I forgot to wear a jacket even though it's in the 50s. I'm glad to be home now with my dog stretched out along my legs.

Cheryl said...

Enjoy the day, whatever it takes. Do it for me, OK?

Summer said...

How big will the new window be and what will you look at when you look out?

I painted my spare bedroom cornflower blue. Depending on the light, it either looks very lavender or a bright blue. I hope my oldest won't mind sleeping in there when he breaks from school.

Sweet dreams tonight.

Scarlet said...

Cheap Trick, Heart and Journey. I love them all. I was such an 80s rocker chick! :)

I'm glad things are moving along with the new office. Maybe you can post pics sometime. That would be fun.

Gin said...

Sounds like a great concert! You'll have a blast. I hope your paint job turns out the color you want. :)

Joni Dixon-Stanger said...

Take a picture of the table when you are done. The color sounds interesting to me. The concert sounds fantastic. They all were some of my favorite bands back in the day. Glad to hear about your window. Hope you get to look out at something good.

bonnie said...

I think I missed that music decade. where have I been??? That yellow paint sounds something like nails on a chalkboard. Hope it looks better in real life than in my imagination. I hope you are having a fun day too.

Jay said...

I love to rummage around in second hand building stores. There's usually some cool stuff in those places.

We used to go the Habitat for Humanity store and look around. Sometimes we found amazing bargains.

Leann said...

Hey Brad,

First off, thanks so much for stopping by Stormi's blog and giving her some encouragement. It's always tough getting out their on your own when you've been in a relationship for so long, especially when there are kids involved.

As my fave color is yellow I'd love to see a pic of the table when you're done painting it.

I'll mirror Summer's question. Where will the window be and what will it look out upon?

The hospital where I work is labor union. I hate that you HAVE to join and pay dues. I'd rather that were my choice. Especially when no one told me I had to join at the beginning of my employment and then six months later they are taking a HUGE chunk from my paycheck to make up for lost time. GGGRRRRR

Hope you enjoyed the day. It's 11:30p here and very warm outside and in.

Jamie said...

That concert sounds like a great time! I think I wore out my concert interest back in the day, too crowded now...good hell, do you think I am old? Geez...

Your life sounds a tad bit calmer and happier now, although with the office move, I'll bet that won't last too long. Happy everything Brad. Hugs.

Real Live Lesbian said...

What a great concert line-up! I wanna go!

Enjoy your sun-shiney day!

Smocha said...

Hey Brad,

Congrats on getting yer way....er..window:)

I saw Heart back when I was 15.
Ever notice all the rockers we used to like are now all geriatric?
Ha!

Better bring some earplugs just in case it's too loud.

My husband and I went and saw Sister Hazel a few years ago. A hell I shall never try and repeat.
That was the night I realized that "I" am too geriatric for concerts.


Have fun!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're finally over that stump. Good to hear an upbeat you.