Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Dog Days of Summer

I believe the title to this post is suppose to mean those hot August days where you only feel like laying on the front porch much like a hound dog. That's a bit how I've been feeling the last couple of weeks. It's not the heat that has me hanging my head low but the slow acceptance that the season's coming to an end. I'm just not ready for it. I could complain about the lack of hot days here, and not feeling true summer, but I've never been one to like the hot-hot days. I won't complain about the lack of hot days bring in business as customers A/C units fail. It would have been good for business but it just wouldn't be right to wish that on anyone.

I guess it's just a low level sense of melancholy. I can sense the days getting shorter. The trees are starting to tip their hands about what they've planned for the next few weeks. It reminds me of my sister comment when we were young that she wished she could glue all the leaves on the trees so they wouldn't fall off.

I've been trying to kick my own butt out of this mood. I haven't achieved much in that effort but interesting enough over the past couple of days I keep running into things that remind one of the seasons of the year and the circle of life.

A dear blogger has decided that she has said what she wanted to share and was done blogging. I take this to mean she's moving on to other adventures and new goals, which is great. I hope she stays with us and keeps commenting and visiting. I have my wonderful Afghan she made (that I've already been cuddling in at night) to keep her wonderful smiling attitude near me. Thanks again Happyone.

I got the greatest gift this morning in my email when I logged in at work.

Here's your circle of life kids. Look at this beauty.



Olivia Faith was born to our dear Miss Purdue on Friday. As Mom says...

"Born on Friday 22nd August 2008 at 3:40pm after a short but intense 3 hour labour. No drugs for Mum or Dad!!"

And:

"She is beautiful and I love her despite the fact that she tried to kill me (who says you forget the pain of labour?)"

I'm a first time blog-uncle, how sweet is that? I can't positively tell you how Miss Purdue and I found each other. I'm pretty sure it was one of my afternoons of clicking randomly on "next Blog" on blogger when I came across her site. What a wonderful bit of kismet that was. I'd puff out my chest and hand out cigars if any of you were about. Go send Mum & Dad some love, would ya ?

My Dear Bon, at Bon's Time Out writes about the loss of a dear friend taken too young. A young woman who clearly had so much more to give but ran out of time. Bon's response to this is to take action, which is no surprise to me. I'll love you even more if you click over to Bon's site and support her with some love.

When I hit the post office tonight on the way home from work I noticed an very elderly man in a motorized wheel chair with an oxygen tank on the back of his chair with the tube running to his face. I noticed him because he was in the roadway and it freaked me out a bit. I finished depositing the mail and turned back to look. He seemed to be fighting with something thin and shining caught up in the bushes next to him. I thought it was his tibe so I walked over to asked if he needed help. He replied: "If I could get this f***ing thing outta the bush I could keep movin on" He was trying to get a discarded cassette tape out of the bush by pulling on the loose tape. This guy was out in his chair with a extension gripper cleaning up garbage on his block. I snagged the cassette and put it in his bag. By the time I'd done that I already knew he lived in the blue house on the corner, had lived there since 1972, and his daughter Kelly and her no-good boyfriend could go to hell. His name is Walt. I shook his hand and will watch for him from now on.

So it's the season of change, one I've never had 'in me front pockets'. I'm always resistant to it but rarely disappointed. I'll muddle through and continue to try and kick my rear in gear. If any of you wanna come take a shot, I'd love the company.

15 comments:

zirelda said...

I'm right there with you Brad. I don't ever want summer to go and suddenly....

Congrats on being a blog uncle. That's really cool.

zirelda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same. No, that's not original. I guess we have to find something that we love about the changes and hold onto them. Before I know it, I'll be covered in ink and glitter and be happy about it. For now, I'm mourning the closing of my pool and the feeling of being immersed in water, with the only thought in my head the counting of strokes. Lost in a rhythm. Fall is beautiful, but then there's the long Winter. Short days and darkness. Then the hope of Spring, and then Summer again. And so it goes.

I miss Karen too, and she won't be forgotten. I'm lucky that I can still see her. Do you hear that Karen? I'll be calling. And what a wonderful thing Bonnie's doing.

Keep your chin up Brad. That's my kick in the rear.

Leann said...

It seems here in the valley that summer no more gets into full swing when fall begins to nip at her heels. I too am mourning the loss of summer and the beginning of fall. I love fall, the colors and smells, I'm just not ready to let go of the 'vibe' that accompanies it.

Congrats Uncle!! She is a beatiful baby girl. I'm sure Mom and Dad are just as proud.

Kudos to you for taking the time to care and assist Walt with his struggle. Sometimes it's the little things. You don't have to make an amazing stand, just a small gesture.

susi said...

Olivia Faith shares my birthday. The poet T.S.Eliot used to wear a Yorkshire white rose in his buttonhole every August 22nd. He said this was was in remembrance of Richard III the last English king of England (Tudors - Welsh, Stuarts - Scottish, William III - Dutch, present lot - German).

I don't know why Eliot did this - he was, after all, American - but I have always liked the story.

Richard lived at Middleham Castle, not so far from here, and was well liked in Yorkshire. He died at the battle of Bosworth on August 22nd 1485.

Jamie said...

Congrats on being a new blog uncle! That certainly is a beautiful baby...

I feel your melancholy---maybe it's just in the air right now? Too much change gets even the stodgy-iest of us down...and there has been so much for so many of us recently.

Hugs and thank you so much for your kind offer in my comments. :)

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

That's a bummer about HappyONE!! I've read her on occasion and she is has this delightful cheer about her---but you do have her afgan and that's a warm blessing.

I do agree with you about Bon and her friend..I plan on giving for certain---lupus is awful, awful awful!!

Hang in there with the end of dog days--it does suck but I love the reference you made about the tree's tipping their branches..that was really cool.

yikes, I guess I shouldn't say cool--but well..

Are you in your jammies? Bring your blankie too--kids are excited to hang out with you--so long as you bring Bear- :)
heehee

me
xoxoxo

tt said...

Season of change. Those 3 words say a lot! ( I keep repeating it to myself...how odd is that?)
Time to close the pool....put away the lawn mowers...bring out the blankets....buy some hot cocoa...and get ready for the refreshing fall smells. Mmmmmmmm....that just made me smile.
If you find a good way to get the rear in motion, let me know. Nothing painful though...;)
Congrats on being Bloguncle.
( ha..if you say that fast it's funny)
She's perfectly beautiful!

Let's fall into Fall together shall we?

Scarlet said...

What a beautiful baby and what an honor it is to be the blog uncle.

As for the end of summer, I feel just the opposite. I love the cool fall air (70 degrees in Miami) and the dark skies. I'm such a night person and I love boots; my favorite time of year is right around the corner. :)

What was up with Walt and that cassette tape?? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

As for Happyone, what a loss, huh? I really like her. She made me the red booties and you got the afghan. I'm glad you won it because I know you appreciate it, and it's good to know you're using it.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I often feel sad about the onset of fall. I have SAD, and I just hate to see the light waning. I've been feeling that tinge of melancholy too. So I'm totally with you on this one.

Olivia Faith is a beautiful baby. And it was good of you to help out Walt.

I guess we can't stop the seasons but we can try to see something good in each one.

Mama Llama said...

Olivia Faith. What a most beautiful name. Congratulations to Uncle Brad!

I always feel myself start to slip into a more melancholy "me" at this time of year. When it becomes unbearable, last year I began to take Vitamin D daily and that helped worlds. But not yet...I can't yet, even though I'm missing the nice, long evenings.

Dog days indeed. I read that title and thought, "Woof."

Take care of yourself, and be well.

Brooke said...

Brad,
What a precious gift from God. She is perfect! She is beautiful! Congratulations to you and the proud parents/grandparents as well.

Unknown said...

I wish I could agree with you, but with 105 degree weather going away and new T.V. shows starting up soon. All I can say is bring on the Fall.

Karen said...

I am anxious for fall. I am not much of lover of hot days. I have had a case of the Blahs for a while now too. I just hoping it fade quickly for both of us.

Golden To Silver Val said...

LOL, I believe the term "dog days" has something to do with the dog star constellation...if I remember right. We Pisces are in our 7th house, the house of beginnings or endings... that's why you're feeling the "change" so strongly. Its not only mother nature's time of change, its ours also. We are closely associated to the dear mother. Its an emotional time for us. Big hugs, dear one. xxoo