Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Talk to me

Last night channel 13 had the audacity to pre-empted my favorite mindless weeknight re-run show, Three & a Half Men for some stoopid baseball game. I went channel surfing and ended up on The Rachel Maddox Show on MSNBC. I’ve been a fan of hers for a while but had only ever seen her spots on YouTube and the like, I’d never sat and watched the show. I was surprised to find out that it’s basically the left's version of Fox News. The same type of hyperbolic ‘reporting’ with the same exaggerations and spin, just the opposite side of the political spectrum.

The political parties in this country have done a great job of dividing its citizen is into basically two camps. They divide us to such an extreme that we don’t even talk or listen to each other. I think Senator McCain was truly surprised when participants of his rallies started yelling things like “Terrorist” and “Kill Him”. He shouldn't be surprised. The parties have used divisive politics for years. They have us so neatly divided into different camps that we nearly split 50-50.

We let them get away with it. It only serves their immediate purposes which is to get elected. Lord knows they don’t give a rats ass after that. But what they are fostering is a nation the grows to distrust the ‘other half’ more and more each year. To the point where we don’t even communicate. We just listen to the sound bites and lies and half truths. They’re creating the atmosphere for the political version of ‘The Perfect Storm’.

Where will these politicians be when America becomes so bloated with this misinformation, so untrusting of their fellow countrymen that they can only withdraw to their own ‘safe’ camp?

What we’ll have then will be culture wars. Them against us. Fighting because each side thinks their in the right and that opposing veiws are wrong. They'd rather we fight each other rather then to look at the man behind the curtain pulling the strings.

It’s a ticking time bomb that they've built for their own greedy purposes. Trust me, they won’t have the words or the power to diffuse it.

I had a chat with a friend a few weeks ago. She’s decidedly on the right politically. I am pretty far to the left. While I knew where she stood politically I’d always thought it best to ‘let sleeping dogs lay’ because I value her friendship and I know I can get rather passionate about these things. We chatted via IM for just about an hour. The more we typed, the more I learned that we really aren’t that far apart politically. We found more to agree on then we did to disagree.

All it takes is a little effort to reach out and communicate.

11 comments:

Jenny said...

I don't remember a time when the two parties were so divided.... along with those associated with them. Maybe it's because they start so early nowadays. Maybe it's the news? I know it's created a division in my family and I will be grateful when November 4th FINALLY arrives.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I agree about the importance of trying to communicate, and I thank you for this post. It's an important analysis and reminder. No blogger's block today, eh?

Gin said...

I think a big part of friendship is to allow your buds to have their own opinion without busting their chops too bad. I think you and your friend have figured that out and are doing great!!

(I loveLoveLOVE 2 1/2 men too!!!)

Hope4Grace said...

And we so need to IM more often! I have missed you!

Hugs!!!!

Yes, I had to read Chapter 3 also, what a pain. I could teach this damn class.

I'm envious that you have tv, we have non so can I come watch at your house? We'll paint together and watch 2.5 men.....

fiwa said...

I think Obama will be good at putting us back together again.

zirelda said...

Communication is a wonderful thing.

I miss chatting with you Brad.

Golden To Silver Val said...

Brad you are so right and its terrifying to an old bird like me that things have gotten so out of hand. No one person or party can fix this....no matter what crap they are feeding us.
I miss chatting with you too...this damn time difference really makes it hard. We will be going back an hour first part of Nov. here...you too?

Moohaa said...

Communication good. Ugh on politics. And good gravy, if I see one more governor ad, I'm likely to scream.

I miss ya friend. Take care ok?

Jules said...

American politics are strange!
Here in the UK we have candidates who are all identical to choose from. It comes down to a simple "Who do you like the best...?" Gordon Brown wouodn't be my choice of Prime Minister, but someone else quite like him might be!
At least, I think thats how it works...

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

oh cuddles, are you ever right! Why cuddles? Because if you were near I'd give you a big cuddly hug and say thanks for this post--you are 100% correct-COEXIST! :)

So, cuddles, what other tv shows do you like?

E:)~

Unknown said...

What the hell is 3 1/2 Men. What show is that?